Wednesday, March 30, 2011


Monday was a rough day....for all of us.
Carson was suffering from really bad diapers for 5 days, going on the 6th.  I decided to take him to the Dr. to get some piece of mind, and see if there was anything we could do to help him with whatever he was suffering from.  I was assuming it was some sort of virus, that was getting the best of him.  And, I hated it.

I brought him to what I assumed would be a regular doctor visit.  One that they told us he would be fine, and whatever was eating away at him, would just have to run its course, and we would be on our way.  But, I was wrong.

The nurse checked him over, and sent in the doctor.  That is when it hit me.  I was not prepared for what was going to be happening.  She said that Carson was very dehydrated, and they were going to admit him into the hospital, and test him for some viruses.  The thought of my baby being in the hospital was enough to make my heart sink, and want to vomit.  I knew I needed to stay strong, because I was the only person that Carson had to cling to.  But, it was hard.  A lot harder than I thought.  I started praying constantly.  That is all I felt I could do, as the rest was out of my hands.  And, in the hands of someone Wonderful, and who has complete control.  Carson was very shaken up, and was having a hard time catching his breath because he was crying so hard.  I thought seeing him like that was hard enough.....and yet the journey was just beginning. 

We went through admissions, got wheeled to room 441, and got checked in.  We got Carson into his lavender hospital gown, and tried to keep him calm.  That was a task that I felt like was impossible at times.  He was scared to death.....and, as was I.  In the meantime, Frannie had made it to the hospital.  And thank goodness for that!  The nurse then came in, and said that they needed to take him down the hall to put an IV in.  I wanted to lose it.  The thought of them holding Carson down, and sticking a needle in him made me wheezy.  They took him down the hall, and I left the room as well.  I went downstairs to meet Carl at the door, and left Frannie in the room to be the hero, and get him after he was done.  I needed a little time to re-group, and see my husband.  Carl wasn't feeling just the best either, as he was suffering from some sort of bug too, but I needed him there more than ever.  And, he was. 

After we got back to the room, we got the report that he did really well, and they were able to get the IV in during their first try.  Thank goodness.  Carson had the saddest eyes, and looked so scared.  I felt so bad for the poor little guy, and just wanted to instantly make him better, and head home.  Head home where he would be comfortable, and not be scared.  But, I knew that we needed to be there.  We needed to get him healthy, and he was in good hands.  They started him on fluids, and just monitored him from then on.  He wasn't able to use his left hand, as it was all bandaged up from having the IV in.  He wasn't too fond of the idea of only having one mobile hand.  I wouldn't be, either.  Carson also couldn't eat or drink anything for 4 hours after being admitted.  That was really hard.  All he wanted was his C-U-P.  It was a sense of security for him, that we weren't allowing him to have. 

We were there overnight, and through a very restless one, with no sleep.  Carl had to work that night, so that left Carson and I there alone.  Carson was in and out of sleep all night, and would freak out every time he was woken up by one of the nurses checking on him.  He woke up, looked around, and would get very worked up, because he was very scared.  I don't blame him one bit.  The poor little guy was in such a foreign place, and was hooked up to this machine that didn't give him the freedom and mobility that he was used to having. 

The following morning Dr. Sims made his rounds, and we got wonderful news.  We were given word that he was good to go home!  And I was filled with so much excitement.  It took about 2 hours to get all the discharge papers ready, and for us to get out of there.  But, I think we were all very pleased to head home.  Carson had a huge grin on his face when we got home.  I think he was so happy to be in his home, too! 

I think that Carson is really starting to improve, and is getting his appetite back.  We are pumping him full of pedialyte, and doing all we can to get him back to 100%.  We are all soooo excited to be healthy again, and we are hoping that time is soon! 

After seeing Carson in the hospital, it really makes me wonder how those parents see their children like in, and day out.  They have to be so strong, and courageous.  It makes me very thankful for the fact that we were only there for a day. 

We are now home, and recovering!  That is an answered prayer in itself.

Tonight, we are headed to Aunt DiDi's house to have a little party.  A "Gender-Reveal" Party!!  We get to find out if Carson's new baby cousin is going to be a BOY, or a GIRL!  We are very excited.  My guess is a boy, so we will see if I am right.  Nathan and Diane have their appointment at 3:30, and the party starts at 5:30.  I am contemplating calling her, and seeing if I can squeeze it out of her to be the first to know.  My guess is, it will be a fail.....but it's worth a shot, right?!  ha. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Angie, you did a wonderful job of describing your feelings, the feelings a mother has, when Carson was sick and hospitalized. I was certain it would be devastating for you and Carl and Frannie. Praise our Jesus that he hears our prayers and answers and heals. Why He doesn't heal all children is His mystery but today he is healing our Carson.