Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Aplington Days

Last night, we attended the Aplington Days parade.  It was hot and humid, but we found a shade tree, and had a blast!  Frannie was along for the ride, and joined us for the fun festivities for the night.

Carson was so good during the parade, and it was so fun watching him observe the moving obstacles that were passing by.  The sirens scared him, as he jumped everytime...but, it was kind of cute.  He would jump, and look up from his candy bucket---wondering what was going on.  He sat so good, and only got up a few times to get a piece of candy.  Otherwise, he was content as could be sitting on Frannie's lap, unwrapping tootsie rolls.  He figured out how to unwrap them by himself, which probably isn't a good thing.  He was shoveling them in his mouth, and I was just waiting for his belly ache to set in. 

After the parade, we decided to brace the heat, and head for the park.  There are always rides, people, food, expensive tickets, and scary carnies that hang out in the why not, right? ha.
I decided to buy a few tickets, and send Carson on his very first carnival ride.  I bought the tickets, and stood in line with him, as he waited impatiently.  I don't think he really knew what was going on.  I was so nervous for him.  We handed the man our tickets, walked to the car that Carson was going to ride in, and I strapped him in.  I was worried that he wouldn't like the fact that I would be walking away from him, and was going to leave him alone.  But, he didn't mind.

The ride started, and he went to town steering the wheel on the car.  He was pretty serious about this car drivin' business.  It was so darn cute to watch him ride in circles, like a complete big boy.  I had butterflies in my stomach.  I had a complete Proud Mama moment hit me square in the face.  It was amazing, and I loved it!

My son, who really should still be a baby, was riding in a car, at a carnival, all by himself, without me sitting right next to him.  Someone please pinch me.

So, the first ride was a success.  A huge success.  We got him out of the car, and let the other children enjoy themselves as much as Carson did.  I decided, after Carson was trying to find his way back into the gate to get back to those cars, that I would buy a few more tickets, and let him ride again.  It was another success.  He sat by a complete stranger, and he could have cared less.  Then came the 2nd time of getting out of the car.  Yeah, it wasn't pretty.  He was kicking and screaming.  He didn't want to leave that ride that he was having so much fun on.  It wasn't our best moment, but that's ok.  Other than that, the night was so much fun.  Carson did exceptionally well, considering the heat, and it was past his bedtime.  We headed home, and got him ready for bed.  He went down without a fuss.  I think he was so exhausted from the big day, and all the excitement!

Oh, how much fun it was to see our little Wee Lad enjoy himself, and be so brave.  He didn't show any signs of being scared, and that makes me so happy.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For sharing such a sweet time for it was almost like being there with you guys. I was laughing out loud reading your script about his car ride. Such joy the Wee Lad brings to us all.